The Board of Commissioners of the Bossier Levee District met in regular session on Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. at the Levee Board Office, 3404 Industrial Drive, Bossier City, Louisiana.
The President, Tim Larkin, called the meeting to order.
ROLL CALL PRESENT: ALLEY, LARKIN, MOORE, STELLY, WEBB, TAUNTON MELVILLE, ATTORNEY AND ROBERT TOMASEK, DOTD ENGINEER.
ABSENT: BANTLE, MONTGOMERY
The first order of business was opening prayer by Commissioner Webb and the Pledge of Allegiance by Commissioner Larkin.
On motion by Alley, seconded by Stelly and unanimously passed, the Board dispensed with the reading of the minutes and approved the minutes of the regular board meeting held on March 13, 2019.
AMENDMENT TO AGENDA:
On suggestion of the Chair to add an item to the agenda, Stelly moved, and Alley seconded a motion to add the discussion of construction change orders. The President asked if any member of the public wished to speak on whether to add the item to the agenda and there were no requests to speak. The following Commissioners voted yes (being all Commissioners present):
The Commissioners having voted unanimously to add the item to the agenda, it was added.
On suggestion of the Chair to add another item to the agenda, Alley moved and Stelly seconded a motion to add the discussion of an amount to authorize the President, Tim Larkin and Mark Long, Operations Coordinator of the Bossier Levee District to approve change orders for the Bossier Levee Board Improvement Project not to exceed an approved amount set forth by the Board. The President asked if any member of the public wished to speak on whether to add the item to the agenda and there were no requests to speak. The following Commissioners voted yes (being all Commissioners present):
The Commissioners having voted unanimously to add the item to the agenda, it was also added for discussion.
REQUESTS BY VISITORS:
Micha Duffy with Coyle Engineering appeared before the Applications Committee and the Board with an updated permit request that inlcuded previously submitted preliminary plans on behalf of the Bossier Parish Police Jury for culvert replacements on Willow Chute Bayou at Kingston Road, Lafitte Lane, and Crosscreek Drive near Willow Chute Bayou.
On motion by Webb, seconded by Stelly and unanimously carried the Board approved the recommendation from the Applications Committee to approve the request for permit substantially in accordance with the preliminary plans dated April 3, 2019 and granted the issuance of the permit after the review of the final plans and verification by Mark Long, Operations Coordinator that there were no material alterations. No comments from the public.
Mr. Long updated the Board on the letter of no objection sent to the MPC approved by President, Tim Larkin and the BLD Operations Coordinator, Mark Long on the proposed plat for Willow Chute Estates, Unit 1. No comments from the public.
On motion by Webb, seconded by Ally and unanimously carried the Board approved a resolution certifying the compliance of the Bossier Levee District with the public bid laws for the Red Chute Levee Widening Project. No comments from the public.
On motion by Alley, seconded by Stelly and unanimously carried the Board authorized Tim Larkin and or Mark Long to approve all change orders and construction changes that are required not to exceed $15,000.00 and any time extensions that are needed as well. No comments from the public.
LEVEE AND DRAINAGE REPORT:
Red Chute Levee Improvement Project
- January 9, 2019 at 9:30 am. – opened bids on Red Chute Bayou Levee Improvement Project; with low bid of $5,145,791.49 from Testament Construction Services, LLC. - March 21, 2019 – Railroad contractor installed RR Crossing at Red Chute Levee. - March 22, 2019 – contract signed with Testament Construction. - Preconstruction meeting scheduled for 2:30 pm, April 10, 2019.
Levee Inspection Schedule
- Corps of Engineers Red River Levee Inspection scheduled for February 19, 2019 thru February 20. DOTD Red Chute Levee Inspection scheduled for February 18, 2019. Corps of Engineers Red Chute Levee Periodic Inspection scheduled for June 10 thru June 14, 2019.
Red River Levee Certification
- Levee certification expires September 30, 2019. - May 8, 2018 – sent letter to Corps requesting their services in providing new levee certification.
Red River Corps Study
- March 29, 2017 – Received schedule of activities for Corps Sediment Study and Hydraulic Analysis for the Red River; estimated time for Hydraulic Model to be finalized is July 2019 and the estimated time for the Sediment Model to be finalized is December 2019. - Lidar Completed on March 31, 2018
Bossier Drainage Maintenance Initiative
- Red Chute brush removal between US 80 and I-20 scheduled to resume when site conditions dry.
Flat River Erosion Repairs
- Nixon Engineering – working on survey and preliminary design for erosion control work north of Sligo Road.
- October 10, 2018 – board approved a project to regrade 4400 LF of the ditch. - October 18, 2018 - Newt Brown Contractor started work excavating and grading ditch. - December 18, 2018 – channel excavation substantially complete; grading of spoil dirt to be completed when site dries. - February 11, 2019 – Ditch side slopes developed extensive embankment slides after recent Flat River high water event.
Red Chute Bayou Levee Culvert Rehab
- May 9, 2018 –approval given for contract to line remaining unlined CMP Culverts on Red Chute Bayou Levee in the amount of $138,317.52.
Bossier Levee District Facility Upgrades
- March 18, 2019 – M&M Builders started work on Bossier Levee District Facility Upgrades. - April 8, 2019 – earthwork grading, drilled piers, stone base, and forms set for slabs on new shop and on existing shop. Concrete slab pours scheduled for April 9 th on existing shop and on April 12th on new shop. - Change Order #1 in the amount of $2,602.00 required to correct door widths and heights fornew shop building.
Levee and Drainage Crews
- Mowing levees and drainage channels. - Spraying herbicide on drainage channels and levees. - Inspecting levees, channels, and drainage structures; cleaning outfall pipes and flap gates. - Repairing gates on levees. - Repairing levee slopes in areas damaged by hogs. - Trapping hogs. - Cleaning debris buildup on bridges. - Servicing and repairing equipment.
- March 13, 2019 submitted purchase order for 3 new John Deere 6145M Tractors thru the State Contract in the amount of $99,501.20 each. Estimated delivery time August 15, 2019. - March 14, 2019 submitted purchase order for a new F-450 Crew Cab 4X4 Work Truck for tractor crew. Estimated August 15, 2019.
- Requesting to declare the following as surplus equipment to be sold at auction:
1) 2003 Case MX 110 with 5313 hours; Equipment # 205. 2) 2016 John Deere 6135E with 459 hours; Equipment # 380.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the Secretary for the district be and she is hereby authorized to make the payments set forth above in the amount of $66,124.09
On motion by Stelly, seconded by Alley, the meeting was adjourned at 10:35 a.m.
__________________________ _____________________________ Tim Larkin, President Deanna S. Rabb, Secretary