The Board of Commissioners of the Bossier Levee District met in regular session on Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 10:07 a.m. at the Levee Board Office, 3404 Industrial Drive, Bossier City, Louisiana.
The President, Tim Larkin, called the meeting to order.
ROLL CALL PRESENT: LARKIN, MOORE, STELLY, WEBB, TOM ARCENEAUX, ATTORNEY AND ROBERT TOMASEK, DOTD ENGINEER.
ABSENT: ALLEY, BANTLE, MONTGOMERY
The first order of business was opening prayer by Commissioner Webb and the Pledge of Allegiance by Commissioner Larkin.
On motion by Commissioner Moore, seconded by Webb and unanimously passed, the Board dispensed with the reading of the minutes and approved the minutes of the regular board meeting held on January 9, 2019.
REQUESTS BY VISITORS:
The President presented request for The Estates at Preserve Subdivision for encroachment permit (2019-03) relating to Mack’s Bayou or Lateral. The Permits Application Committee (“Committee”) recommended that when the applicant has plans or sketches acceptable to Operations Manager and the President, the Operations Manager or the President be authorized to issue permit for the encroachment. The Developer would maintain the landscaping.
Motion by Webb, second by Stelly, to approve the recommendation of the Committee. Motion passed unanimously. No public comments.
A. Resolution of Acceptance of Bid awarded to Testament Construction, LLC for Red Chute Levee Widening Project. Motion by Moore, second by Stelly, to make the award. Passed unanimously. No public comments.
B. Resolution authorizing the Board President to sign contract for Red Chute Levee Widening Project. Motion by Stelly, second by Moore, to make the authorization. Passed unanimously. No public comments.
C. Discussion whether to continue lease of four IC-50 crawler carriers. The Committee recommended letting the lease lapse and return to lessor. Motion by Stelly, second by Moore, to permit the lease to lapse and return the equipment. Passed unanimously. No public comments.
D. Jared Boogaerts of Nixon Engineering to update the Board on Red Chute Levee Raise Impact Analysis. The President explained the status thus far, with Steps 1, 2, and 3. The Committee recommended to move forward with Step 4. Motion by Stelly, second by Webb, to move forward with Step 4. Passed unanimously. No public comments.
A. Permit 2019-01. Request from Land & Aquatic Resource Management on behalf of the Bossier Parish Police Jury to request authorization to replace the bridge that previously provided access across Flat River along Kelli Road that was damaged during the March, 2016 flood. Committee recommended approval of permit in accordance with the plans submitted and approved by the Operations Coordinator. Parish to be responsible to maintain the bridge. Motion by Stelly, second by Moore, to approve the permit in accordance with plans submitted to and approved by the Operations Coordinator, with the Parish to be responsible to maintain the bridge. Passed unanimously. No public comment.
B. Permit 2019-02. Request for a permit from Land & Aquatic Resource Management on behalf of the Bossier Parish Police Jury to request authorization to replace the bridge that previously provided access across Flat River along Swan Lake Road that was also damaged during the March 2016 flood. The Committee recommended approval of permit in accordance with the plans submitted and approved by the Operations Coordinator. Parish to be responsible to maintain the bridge. Motion by Stelly, second by Moore, to approve the permit in accordance with plans submitted to and approved by the Operations Coordinator, with the Parish to be responsible to maintain the bridge. Passed unanimously. No public comment.
C. Motion by Stelly, second by Webb, to issue letter of no objection for Estates at the Preserve Unit No. 1 Plat. Passed unanimously. No public comment.
D. Motion by Stelly, second by Webb, to issue letter of no objection for Oak Alley Unit 5e Plat. Passed unanimously. No public comment.
E. Discussion of Herndon Ditch Repair Project. The Committee recommended that Mr. Long consult with the city and the parish to discuss interest and possible options. Motion by Stelly to table until receive further information. Second by Webb. Passed unanimously. No public comment.
F. Procedural authorization for plats. No action or discussion.
G. Review of 2019-2020 Proposed Budget. The President announced that the Finance Committee is not prepared to move forward with its recommendations. No action taken.
H. Discussion regarding upcoming levee inspections by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on February 19-20 (Bossier Levee) and June 10-14 (Red Chute Bayou). Motion by Stelly, second by Webb to approve the District providing lunch to facilitate the inspection. Passed unanimously. No public comments.
I. Award of contract for Bossier Levee District Facility Upgrade for bids received on February 6, 2019. Low bidder was M & M Builders, Inc. The President recommended accepting the bid and giving a notice of award to the low bidder. Motion by Stelly, second by Moore. Passed unanimously. No public comment.
J. Resolution authorizing the President to execute the contract for the above construction, subject to review by the Board’s attorney. Motion by Webb, second by Stelly. Passed unanimously. No public comment.
LEVEE AND DRAINAGE REPORT:
Red Chute Levee Improvement Project
- January 9, 2019 at 9:30 am. – opened bids on Red Chute Bayou Levee Improvement Project; with low bid of $5,145,791.49 from Testament Construction Services, LLC.
Levee Inspection Schedule
- Corps of Engineers Red River Levee Inspection scheduled for February 19, 2019 thru February 20. DOTD Red Chute Levee Inspection scheduled for February 18, 2019. Corps of Engineers Red Chute Levee Periodic Inspection scheduled for June 10 thru June 14, 2019.
Red River Levee Certification
- Levee certification expires September 30, 2019. - May 8, 2018 – sent letter to Corps requesting their services in providing new levee certification.
Red River Corps Study
- March 29, 2017 – Received schedule of activities for Corps Sediment Study and Hydraulic Analysis for the Red River; estimated time for Hydraulic Model to be finalized is July 2019 and the estimated time for the Sediment Model to be finalized is December 2019. - Lidar Completed on March 31, 2018
Bossier Drainage Maintenance Initiative
- July 7, 2018 - BLD Crew resumed tree and brush removal on the east side of Red Chute Bayou between Hwy 80 and I-20. Work delayed due to equipment break down and wet conditions.
Flat River Erosion Repairs
- Nixon Engineering – working on survey and preliminary design for erosion control work north of Sligo Road.
- October 10, 2018 – board approved a project to regrade 4400 LF of the ditch. - October 18, 2018 - Newt Brown Contractor started work excavating and grading ditch. - December 18, 2018 – channel excavation substantially complete; grading of spoil dirt to be completed when site dries. - February 11, 2019 – Ditch side slopes developed extensive embankment slides after recent Flat River high water event.
Red Chute Bayou Levee Culvert Rehab
- May 9, 2018 –approval given for contract to line remaining unlined CMP Culverts on Red Chute Bayou Levee in the amount of $138,317.52.
Red Chute Levee High Water Event
- December 21, 2018 – leased four IC-50 IHI Crawler Carrier’s from Sunbelt Equipment Marketing, Inc.; the lease rate for each machine is $4,500.00/month and the first month’s lease ends on January 20, 2019. - February 11, 2019 – as of this date four IC-50 IHI Crawlers are still on lease; approximately 8.8 feet of free board at the time of this report.
Bossier Levee District Facility Upgrades
- Wednesday February 6, 2019 at 10:00 am. Bids were opened for the Bossier Levee District’s Facility Upgrade Project; with a low base bid from M&M Builders Inc. in the amount of $1,079,800.00 and an add alternate bid of $20,000.00 for painting an existing building.
Levee and Drainage Crews
- Inspecting levees, channels, and drainage structures; cleaning outfall pipes and flap gates. - Repairing gates on levees. - Repairing levee slopes in areas damaged by hogs. - Trapping hogs. - Cleaning debris buildup on bridges. - Servicing and repairing equipment.
- Accepted delivery on two new heavy duty 18ft utility trailers. - Accepted delivery on new F550 4x4 Truck.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the Secretary for the district be and she is hereby authorized to make the payments set forth above in the amount of $176,538.81.
The President adjourned the meeting at 10:55 a.m.
__________________________ _____________________________ Tim Larkin, President Deanna S. Rabb, Asst. Secretary