The Board of Commissioners of the Bossier Levee District met in regular session on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. at the Levee Board Office, 3404 Industrial Drive, Bossier City, Louisiana.
The President, James Rabb, called the meeting to order.
PRESENT: BANTLE, BRANTON, MOORE, LARKIN, RABB, MONTGOMERY, STELLY, ALLEY, WEBB, ROBERT TOMESAK, DOTD ENGINEER AND TOM ARCENEAUX, ATTORNEY.
The first order of business was opening prayer and pledge of allegiance by Commissioner Webb.
President Rabb welcomed the new commissioners John Michael Moore and Summa Stelly who were sworn in office along with the other appointed commissioners.
On motion by Montgomery, seconded by Bantle unanimously passed, the Board dispensed with the reading of the minutes and approved the minutes of the regular meeting held on March 8, 2017.
REQUESTS BY VISITORS:
Marcus Long, Operations Coordinator for the Levee District who summarized for the Board the permit request of A T & T to place 1.5” conduit within an existing utility easement behind the homes on Welham Trace in Plantation Trace Estates, Unit No. 4, in Bossier City, La.
On motion by Branton, seconded by Bantle and unanimously passed the Board approved the permit in accordance with plans resubmitted, with Permittee to add a date to the plans. Nothwithstanding any other provisions, the conduit shall not be any closer than eight feet from the toe of the levee, not deeper than two feet and within the existing utility easement. No comments from the public.
Joey French representing Buddy Lucky requested a permit to remove and replace the bridge over Flat River located on his farm. This matter was tabled until additional information could be obtained.
The Board discussed an addendum to the Red Chute Bayou Levee Improvement contract with Dewberry Consultants, LLC.
On motion by Alley, seconded by Branton and unanimously passed the Board approved the addendum with Dewberry Consultants, LLC. in the amount of $16,430.00.
The Board reviewed an estimate from KCS on the approach slope detail on Red Chute Levee for $ 80,071.00.
On motion by Larkin, seconded by Bantle and unanimously passed the Board approved the estimate from KCS on the approaches in the amount of up to $20,000.00. No comments from the public.
On motion by Bantle, seconded by Alley, unanimously passed the Board approved the final plan change order on the Red River Levee Maintenance. Abstaining from the vote Mr. Moore. No comments from the public.
On motion by Webb, seconded by Montgomery, unanimously passed, the Board approved the following resolution setting the tax millage for 2017.
BE IT RESOLVED that the following millage is hereby levied on the 2017 tax roll on all property subject to taxation by the Bossier Levee District.
Millage Rate 4.22
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the proper administrative officials of the Parishes of Bossier and Red River, State of Louisiana be and they are hereby empowered, authorized, and directed to spread said taxes, as herein above set forth, upon the assessment roll of said Parishes for the year 2017, and to make the collection of the taxes imposed for and on behalf of the taxing authority, according to law, and that the taxes herein levied shall become a permanent lien and privilege on all property subject to taxation as herein set forth, and collection thereof shall be enforceable in the manner provided by law.
The foregoing resolution was read in full, the roll was called on the adoption thereof, and the resolution was adopted by the following votes
Mark Long, Operations Coordinator advised the Board of the low bidder for the Levee Surfacing Project, new equipment to be purchased and contracts for channel clearing projects.
On motion by Stelly, seconded by Branton and unanimously passed the Board approved the following with Mr. Moore abstaining from the vote on the Levee Surfacing:
- Accept low bid of $109,760.00 from Newt Brown Contractors for 1.36 miles of levee surfacing.
- Approve the purchase of:
• John Deere 160G LC tract excavator thru State Contract in the amount of $167,040.00.
• (2) - John Deere 6135E tractors not to exceed $100,000.00 each.
• ½ ton 4 x 4 pickup thru state contract at a cost of $24,764.00.
- Declare (2) 2016 John Deere 6135E tractors as surplus.
The President requested Commissioner Branton, Chairman of the Nominating Committee to present a slate of names for the offices of 1st Vice President and 2nd Vice President at the May meeting.
Commissioner Alley gave a brief report for the employment committee stating that the committee had interviewed two candidates for the position of Assistant Secretary. No comments from the public.
LEVEE AND DRAINAGE:
Red Chute Levee Improvement Project
- July 2, 2015 – submitted final plans to Corps and DOTD for review.
- August 6, 2015 – received letter from Statewide Flood Control for Fiscal Year 2016 Funding; $980,100 for FY 15/16; total to date $2,112,115; balance to complete State’s obligation $2,491,345.
- April 19, 2016 – Met with Vicksburg Corps and discussed 408 review; they advised that the information submitted by Dewberry was inadequate for their review.
- June 15, 2016 – Meeting scheduled with Vicksburg Corps to discuss 408 H&H submittal.
- July 21, 2016 – Met with Statewide Flood Control manager and discussed building the project in two phases; Phase 1 being from ground line up to current levee elevation and Phase 2 being from current levee elevation up to new levee design grade when approved by Corps. Billy Williamson, Statewide Flood Control manager, spoke favorable of the plan for 2 phases of construction; at this time, we have not received an official approval.
- July 29, 2016 – Approved contract for Dewberry for additional work required for Corps 408 permit H&H submittal in the amount of $71,210.00.
- October 11, 2016 – Submitted plans for Red Chute Levee Widening Project to the Vicksburg Corps for permit approval.
- November 7, 2016 – Received Letter dated July 21, 2016 advising of additional funding from Statewide Flood Control for Fiscal Year 2017 in the amount of $2,491,345 bring the project to be fully funded at $4,603,460.00.00.
- December 6, 2016 – Received call from Vicksburg Corps, Neal Lewis, Ray Wilson, and James Harper advising that the levee widening permit request requires an H&H study. Randy Denmon and Jacob Lesue are working on an estimate for the study.
- February 14, 2017 – Received call from Mike Miller with Vicksburg USACE Regulatory advising that we need to submit a new 404 permit request.
- February 27, 2017 – Vicksburg Corps members by conference call advised that the proposed levee widening project would require a H&H Analysis as currently designed; they implied that if the levee widening could be shifted to the land side of the levee the H&H Analysis would not be needed.
- April 11, 2017 - Estimated time for Dewberry to submit additional H&H analysis for levee widening is April 18th.
Red River Corps Study
- March 15, 2017 – Received email from Rich Brontoli advising that the Vicksburg Corps had received funding for the Sediment Survey and Hydraulic Model for the Red River.
- March 29, 2017 – Received schedule of activities for Corps Sediment Study and Hydraulic Analysis for the Red River; estimated time for Hydraulic Model to be finalized is July 2019 and the estimated time for the Sediment Model to be finalized is December 2019.
Red Chute Levee Maintenance
- Received bids for HDPE pipe for lining 72-inch CMP; low bid of $167,210.54 from Contech Engineered Solutions; bid was 55% above estimate. Awarding of bid is not recommended at this time; will explore alternate solutions.
Bossier Drainage Maintenance Initiative
- Received a quote in the amount of $49,050.00 from Timberland Maintenance Services to remove trees and brush from Shady Grove Ditch and Southgate Estates Ditch and an additional cost of $2.25 per linear foot for fence repair which will be required for access; the estimated cost for fence repair is $2,250.00 bringing total estimated cost for work to $51,300.00. Requesting approval for contract.
Red River Levee Maintenance Repair Project
- October 5, 2016 – Opened bids for Red River Levee Maintenance Repair Project; with a low bid from 3 Gen Construction LLC of $397,626.00.
- November 16, 2016 – notice to proceed given.
- Change Order number 1 increased the project amount from $397,626.00 to $407,617.50.
- April 3, 2017 – Project substantially complete.
- Final change order to correct estimated quantities to actual quantities required for the work; Final Change Order brings total project cost to $418,666.28; a net increase of $11,048.78 above amount in Change Order number 1.
Red River Levee PL 84-99 Repairs
- August 18, 2015 – PL 84-99 Eligibility Determination site visit with Vicksburg USACE to inspect bank caving near Red River Levee station 1080+00 to 1087+00; also area near levee station 2385+00 stability berm is eroding.
- February 3, 2016 – Spoke with Barry Moore with the Vicksburg Corps and he advised that the PL 84-99 request has been approved and funds are available for the bank stability repairs at levee station 10+80 to 10+87. He anticipates that a notice to proceed will be given in June of this year and the estimated completion date is September 15, 2016.
- March 31, 2016 – Sent Authorization for Entry to Corps for PL 84-99 survey work.
- June 8, 2016 - Furnished construction RW document for repair work.
- July 12, 2016 – Verbal commitment from Corps for work to begin mid-September with Corps Hired Labor Crew.
- October 31, 2016 - Barry Moore with Vicksburg Corps advised that funding for PL 84-99 repairs is on hold.
- February 23, 2017 – Spoke with Katy Breaux with the Vicksburg USACE who advised that funding for the Red River Levee Bank Caving Repairs was available through supplemental funding received by the Corps.
- April 11, 2017 – spoke with Katy Breaux and she advised that the Corps had ordered the riprap for the levee repairs at Red River Levee station 1080+00 to 1087+00 near A.R. Teague Parkway and it should be delivered in approximately one month; she said work should begin soon after riprap is received depending on Corps hired labor crew schedule.
- Red River Levee between Viking Drive and Shed Road, we received quotes to surface approximately 1.36 miles of levee which has no surfacing between levee station 820+00 to 892+00; the low quote from Newt Brown Contractor. LLC in the amount of $109,760.00. Requesting approval for contract.
- Request approval to purchase John Deere 160G LC Track Excavator thru State contract in the amount of $167,040.90.
- Request approval to declare two 2016 John Deere 6135E Tractors as surplus equipment and to purchase two new tractors as replacements. Cost of new tractors not to exceed $100,000.00 each. The original cost of the John Deere 6135E Tractors was $64,981.24 each; the buyback price from Goldman Equipment is $55,000.00. To sell surplus equipment requires advertising for bids or advertising and selling at a public auction.
- Request to purchase new ½ Ton 4x4 pickup truck thru state contract at a cost of $24,764.00; to replace a 2006 F-250 4X4 (120,000 Miles).
Levee and Drainage Crews
- Herbicide application on channels and levees.
- Inspecting levees, channels, and drainage structures; cleaning outfall pipes and flap gates.
- Cleaning debris from bridges on Red Chute Bayou and Flat River.
- Mowing levees, drainage easements and channels.
- Servicing and repairing equipment.
- Breaking beaver dams.
- Trapping hogs and beavers.
On motion by Montgomery, seconded by Alley, and unanimously passed the Board approved the Levee and Drainage report. No comments from the public.
APPROVAL OF EXPENDITUES:
On motion by Alley, seconded by Branton and unanimously passed, the Board approved the expenditures in the amount of $ 100,736.73.
__________________________ _____________________________ James Rabb, President Mary Jane Easterly, Secretary