The Board of Commissioners of the Bossier Levee District met in regular session on Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. at the Levee Board Office, 3404 Industrial Drive, Bossier City, Louisiana.
The President, James Rabb, called the meeting to order.
PRESENT: BRANTON, LARKIN, WEBB, SINCLAIR RABB, MONTGOMERY, TOM ARCENEAUX, ATTORNEY and ROBERT TOMASEK, DOTD ENGINEER.
ABSENT: LASSEIGNE, ALLEY AND BANTLE
The first order of business was opening prayer and Pledge of Allegiance by Commissioner Sinclair.
On motion by Montgomery, seconded by Sinclair, unanimously passed, the Board dispensed with the reading of the minutes and approved the minutes of the regular meeting held on February 15, 2017.
REQUESTS BY VISITORS:
Mark Long, Operations Coordinator reviewed with the Board the request from Coyle Engineering, representing Mark Roberts requesting approval of a subdivision plat for Willow Chute Estates, Unit No. 1, per a request from the MPC – Bossier City, La . On motion by Branton, seconded by Montgomery, unanimously passed, the Board approved the plat and authorized the Operations Coordinator to contact the MPC notifying them of the approval. No comments from the public.
Mark Long, Operations Coordinator reviewed with the Board the request from Jeff Raley, Raley and Associates, representing the Bossier Parish School Board, requesting two outfall pipes into New High School Ditch. On motion by Branton, seconded by Larkin unanimously passed, the Board approved the request subject to revise the request to (2) drop structures, these changes will be reviewed by DOTD and Mark Long, Operations Coordinator for final approval. No comments from the public.
Joey French, French Engineering, representing Darrell McLemore, requesting an encroachment permit and new crossing at Willow Chute Bayou. This matter was tabled until additional information is provided. No comments from the public.
Joey French, French Engineering, representing Buddy Lucky, requesting an encroachment permit on Williams Bayou. This matter was tabled until a later date. No comments from the public.
The Board reviewed the Proposed 2017-2018 budget and on motion by Sinclair, seconded by Webb, unanimously passed the Board adopted the proposed budget as shown, with the notes and project projections for 2017-2018. (See adopted budget below)
LEVEE AND DRAINAGE:
Red Chute Levee Improvement Project
- July 2, 2015 – submitted final plans to Corps and DOTD for review.
- August 6, 2015 – received letter from Statewide Flood Control for Fiscal Year 2016 Funding; $980,100 for FY 15/16; total to date $2,112,115; balance to complete State’s obligation $2,491,345.
- April 19, 2016 – Met with Vicksburg Corps and discussed 408 review; they advised that the information submitted by Dewberry was inadequate for their review.
- June 15, 2016 – Meeting scheduled with Vicksburg Corps to discuss 408 H&H submittal.
- July 21, 2016 – Met with Statewide Flood Control manager and discussed building the project in two phases; Phase 1 being from ground line up to current levee elevation and Phase 2 being from current levee elevation up to new levee design grade when approved by Corps. Billy Williamson, Statewide Flood Control manager, spoke favorable of the plan for 2 phases of construction; at this time, we have not received an official approval.
- July 29, 2016 – Approved contract for Dewberry for additional work required for Corps 408 permit H&H submittal in the amount of $71,210.00.
- October 11, 2016 – Submitted plans for Red Chute Levee Widening Project to the Vicksburg Corps for permit approval.
- November 7, 2016 – Received Letter dated July 21, 2016 advising of additional funding from Statewide Flood Control for Fiscal Year 2017 in the amount of $2,491,345 bring the project to be fully funded at $4,603,460.00.00.
- December 6, 2016 – Received call from Vicksburg Corps, Neal Lewis, Ray Wilson, and James Harper advising that the levee widening permit request requires an H&H study. Randy Denmon and Jacob Lesue are working on an estimate for the study.
- February 14, 2017 – Received call from Mike Miller with Vicksburg USACE Regulatory advising that we need to submit a new 404 permit request.
- February 27, 2017 – Vicksburg Corps members by conference call advised that the proposed levee widening project would require a H&H Analysis as currently designed; they implied that if the levee widening could be shifted to the land side of the levee the H&H Analysis would not be needed.
Red River Corps Study
- February 28, 2017 – At Flood Technical Committee Meeting there was discussion on the possibility of locally funding new LIDAR for Caddo and Bossier Parish with funding coming from both parishes, levee districts, port, and possibly each city; on March 14, 2017 a meeting is scheduled for further discussion.
Red Chute Levee Maintenance
-Received approval to advertise for bids for HDPE pipe liners for two locations between I-20 and State Levee; revised estimated material cost $105,000.00.
Bossier Drainage Maintenance Initiative
- Additional channel maintenance scheduled.
Red River Levee Maintenance Repair Project
- October 5, 2016 – Opened bids for Red River Levee Maintenance Repair Project; with a low bid from 3 Gen Construction LLC of $397,626.00.
- November 16, 2016 – Notice to proceed given.
- March 6, 2017 - Project is approximately 80% complete.
Red River Levee PL 84-99 Repairs
- August 18, 2015 – PL 84-99 Eligibility Determination site visit with Vicksburg USACE to inspect bank caving near Red River Levee station 1080+00 to 1087+00; also area near levee station 2385+00 stability berm is eroding.
- February 3, 2016 – Spoke with Barry Moore with the Vicksburg Corps and he advised that the PL 84-99 request has been approved and funds are available for the bank stability repairs at levee station 10+80 to 10+87. He anticipates that a notice to proceed will be given in June of this year and the estimated completion date is September 15, 2016.
- March 31, 2016 – Sent Authorization for Entry to Corps for PL 84-99 survey work.
- June 8, 2016 - Furnished construction RW document for repair work.
- July 12, 2016 – Verbal commitment from Corps for work to begin mid-September with Corps Hired Labor Crew.
- October 31, 2016 - Barry Moore with Vicksburg Corps advised that funding for PL 84-99 repairs is on hold.
- February 23, 2017 – Spoke with Katy Breaux with the Vicksburg USACE who advised that funding for the Red River Levee Bank Caving Repairs was available through supplemental funding received by the Corps.
- February 15, 2017 – Requesting approval to advertise for bids for 7.0 miles of levee surfacing for the Red River Levee. Estimated cost $300,000.00.
- Request approval to repair approximately 2,050 LF of levee surfacing damaged during recent levee maintenance project; located on Red River Levee at National Wildlife Refuge; estimated cost $17,500.00.
- February 20, 2017 - Purchased two 72” Cut X-Mark Mowers from State Contract; $14,199.00 each; mowers have been received.
- February 17, 2017 - submitted purchase orders for one Polaris Ranger Crew Diesel UTV at a cost of $15,601.50 including winch and top, and one Kubota RTV-X-1140WL-A at a cost of $15,199.70 including winch and top; both machines have been received.
On motion by Webb, seconded by Sinclair, and unanimously passed the Board authorized the Operations Coordinator to repair approximately 2,050 LF of levee surfacing damaged during recent levee maintenance project; located on the Red River at National Wildlife Refuge; estimated cost $17,500.00. No comments from the public
On motion by Montgomery, seconded by Branton, and unanimously passed, the Board authorized the Operations Coordinator to get bids for a new track hoe, replacing the track hoe damaged in the flood last year. No comments from the public.
On motion by Branton, seconded by Webb, and unanimously passed, the Board authorized the Executive Committee to obligate the Bossier Levee District to participate in the funding of LIDAR in Caddo and Bossier Parish for the Red River Study which was started by the USACE, the funding would be shared among various governmental agencies in Caddo and Bossier Parishes.
The Board authorized the Operations Coordinator and Executive Committee to meet with Randy Denmon, Denmon Engineering on the status of the Red Chute Levee Raising Project. No comments from the public.
On motion by Sinclair, seconded by Larkin, and unanimously passed the Board authorized the Secretary to pay the bills for the month of February, 2017 in the amount of $204,457.73.
AD VALOREM TAXES &REVENUE SHARING
RENTAL AND OTHER INCOME
WAGES & BENEFITS
ACQUISITIONS AND MAJOR REPAIRS
BEGINNING FUND BALANCE
FUND BALANCE ENDING
The President asked if there were comments from the public, there were none.
On motion by Branton, seconded by Webb, the meeting adjourned.
__________________________ _____________________________ James Rabb, President Mary Jane Easterly, Secretary