The Board of Commissioners of the Bossier Levee District met in regular session on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. at the Levee Board Office, 3404 Industrial Drive, Bossier City, Louisiana.
The President, James Rabb, called the meeting to order.
PRESENT: ALLEY, RABB, LARKIN, WEBB, LASSEIGNE, MONTGOMERY, KATHERINE DOUTHITT, ATTORNEY AND ROBERT TOMASEK, DOTD ENGINEER.
ABSENT: BANTLE, BRANTON AND SINCLAIR.
The first order of business was opening prayer and pledge of allegiance by Commissioner Webb.
On motion by Lasseigne, seconded by Alley, unanimously passed, the Board dispensed with the reading of the minutes and approved the minutes of the regular meeting held on August 31, 2016, Special Meeting.
REQUESTS BY VISITORS:
Wade Smith represented Boomerang Car Wash and it representatives Eddie Bailey and Hames Harkins, on a permit request to place utilities (including telephone, water and gas) within the Districts Control Area near Airline Drive. Mr. Smith assured that all utilities will be place underground. Mr. Larkin stated that the ditch comprised mostly of a concrete ditch, and that the control area has been pared down from 100 feet to 25 feet.
On motion by Larkin, seconded by Montgomery and unanimously passed the Board approved the permit in accordance with the plans dated February 9,2016 and that nothing should protrude from the ground within the easement. The President asked if there were any comments from the public, there were none.
On motion by Webb, seconded by Montgomery, the following resolution was unanimously passed:
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the following millage(s) are hereby levied on the 2016 tax roll on all property subject to taxation by the Bossier Levee District.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the proper administrative officials of the Parishes of Bossier and Red River, State of Louisiana, be and they are hereby empowered, authorized, and directed to spread said taxes, as hereinabove set forth, upon the assessment roll of said Parishes for the year 2016, and to make the collection of the taxes imposed for and on behalf of the taxing authority, according to law, and that the taxes herein levied shall become a permanent lien and privilege on all property subject to taxation as herein set forth, and collection thereof shall be enforceable in the manner provided by law.
The foregoing resolution was read in full, the roll was called on the adoption thereof, and the resolution was adopted by the following votes:
The President asked if there were any comments from the public, there were no comments from the public.
On motion by Lasseigne ,seconded by Alley and unanimously passed the Board approved the transfer of $185,000.00 from Huddleston Smith to the checking account for expenditures and payroll. The President asked if there were any comments from the public, there were none.
LEVEE AND DRAINAGE:
Red Chute Levee Improvement Project
- July 2, 2015 – submitted final plans to Corps and DOTD for review.
- August 6, 2015 – received letter from Statewide Flood Control for Fiscal Year 2016 Funding; $980,100 for FY 15/16; total to date $2,112,115; balance to complete State’s obligation $2,491,345.
- April 19, 2016 – Met with Vicksburg Corps and discussed 408 review; they advised that the information submitted by Dewberry was inadequate for their review.
- June 15, 2016 – Meeting scheduled with Vicksburg Corps to discuss 408 H&H submittal.
- July 21, 2016 – Met with Statewide Flood Control manager and discussed building the project in two phases; Phase 1 being from ground line up to current levee elevation and Phase 2 being from current levee elevation up to new levee design grade when approved by Corps. Billy Williamson, Statewide Flood Control manager, spoke favorable of the plan for 2 phases of construction; at this time, we have not received an official approval.
- July 29, 2016 – Approved contract for Dewberry for additional work required for Corps 408 permit H&H submittal in the amount of $71,210.00.
Red Chute Levee Maintenance
- Received approval to advertise for bids for HDPE pipe liners for two locations between I-20 and State Levee; revised estimated material cost $105,000.00.
- Work is scheduled for filling low areas where sand bags were placed in recent high water event.
- Received quotes for 2150 Tons of levee maintenance aggregate to be placed on the Red Chute Bayou Levee on BAFB from Range Road south 3.14 miles. Low quote of $86,000.00 from Newt Brown Contractors.
Bossier Drainage Maintenance Initiative
- Work resumed on Red Chute Bayou between Dogwood Trail and Hwy 80 clearing underbrush and small trees along banks of channel; also removing downed trees and logs from channel.
Red Chute Bayou Levee Sluice Gate Repair
- Received quote of $20,455 to replace a sluice gate and refurbish sluice gate box located on Barksdale AFB. Sluice gate has been received by contractor; will be installed when water level recedes.
- August 2, 2016 – advised contractor that conditions on Red Chute Bayou are suitable to begin work.
Red River Levee Maintenance Repairs
- July 13, 2016 – Board authorized Kurt Nixon with Nixon Engineering to begin work on survey and design for repair of low areas on the Red River Levee.
Red River Levee PL 84-99 Repairs
- August 18, 2015 – PL 84-99 Eligibility Determination site visit with Vicksburg USACE to inspect bank caving near Red River Levee station 1080+00 to 1087+00; also area near levee station 2385+00 stability berm is eroding.
- February 3, 2016 – Spoke with Barry Moore with the Vicksburg Corps and he advised that the PL 84-99 request has been approved and funds are available for the bank stability repairs at levee station 10+80 to 10+87. He anticipates that a notice to proceed will be given in June of this year and the estimated completion date is September 15, 2016.
- March 31, 2016 – Sent Authorization for Entry to Corps for PL 84-99 survey work.
- June 8, 2016 - Furnished construction RW document for repair work.
- July 12, 2016 – Corps soil boring crew obtained soil boring for bank caving repair design.
Levee and Drainage Crews
- Mowing levees and drainage channels.
- Maintenance repairs on levees between US 80 and Dogwood Trail.
- Inspecting levees, channels, and drainage structures; cleaning outfall pipes and flap gates.
- Servicing and repairing equipment.
- Clearing on Red Chute Bayou between US 80 and Dogwood Trail.
- Inspecting sand bag removal.
On motion by Webb, seconded by Alley unanimously passed the Board approved the payment of expenditure in the amount of $161,256.12.
On motion by Lasseigne seconded by Webb the meeting adjourned at 10:24
__________________________ _____________________________ James Rabb, President Mary Jane Easterly, Secretary