The Board of Commissioners of the Bossier Levee District met in regular session on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. at the Levee Board Office, 3404 Industrial Drive, Bossier City, Louisiana.
The President, James Rabb, called the meeting to order.
PRESENT: ALLEY, BRANTON, RABB, LARKIN, WEBB, LASSEIGNE, SINCLAIR, TOM ARCENEAUX, ATTORNEY AND ROBERT TOMASEK, DOTD ENGINEER.
ABSENT: BANTLE, MONTGOMERY.
The first order of business was opening prayer and pledge of allegiance by Commissioner Webb.
On motion by Sinclair, seconded by Alley, unanimously passed, the Board dispensed with the reading of the minutes and approved the minutes of the regular meeting held on June 8, 2016.
On suggestion of the Chair to add an item to the agenda, Larkin moved and Sinclair seconded a motion to add to the agenda the contract for Dewberry, to add this item to the agenda. The President asked if any member of the public wanted to speak on whether to add the item to the agenda and there was no request to speak. By roll call vote with all members present voting “yes” the motion carried unanimously and the item was added to the agenda.
REQUESTS BY VISITORS:
Mr. Kurt Nixon, Nixon Engineering appearing to discuss the contract on two sections of the Red River Levee. The first section is from approximately STA 726+40 through STA 739 +50. The work on this section will raise the levee to provide a minimum of 5 feet of freeboard about the 2015 flood event. This will entail adding approximately 2 feet of material on top of the existing levee. The second section is from approximately STA 1426 + 30 through 1452-70. Similarly, this work will raise the levee so that it has 5 feet of freeboard above the 2015 flood by adding approximately 1.5 feet of material on top of the existing levee. It is the understanding of Nixon Engineering that this work is, strictly maintenance of the existing levee and that the scope of work will not require a 408 permit from the USACE.
The proposal is as follows:
Inspection & Testing $15,600.00
On motion by Lasseigne, seconded by Sinclair and unanimously passed the Board approved the contract for work on the levee and authorized Mr. Long and Mr. Nixon to proceed with this work. The President asked if there were any comments from the public, there was none.
Ben Rauschenbach with Manchac Consulting representing the City of Bossier requesting a permit on bank stabilization along Red Chute Bayou, next to North East Wastewater Treatment Plant. Mr. Rauschenbach met with the permit committee prior to regular meeting; permit committee report favorably; on motion by Sinclair, seconded by Alley unanimously passed the Board approved the permit for the City of Bossier City. The President asked if anyone from the public would like to speak and there were no comments.
Mark Long, Operations Coordinator spoke on behalf of Dewberry & Associates about their contract proposal for additional Hydrologic and Hydraulics Analysis and Study required for the Red Chute Bayou Levee Raise Project’s required 408 permit review by the Corps of Engineers. The Board hired a Consulting Engineer, Ron Goldman to review the requirements for the 408 submittal, Mr. Goldman has met with the Corps along with Mark Long, Operations Coordinator, Randy Denmon, Engineer and Dewberry. The scope of work has been better determined for the additional work that is needed for the 408 submittal. Mr. Goldman has reviewed the scope of work and determined that it is adequate and reasonable in cost. The Board authorized the President to sign the contract after the Mr. Arceneaux has reviewed and approved the contract. The contract will be totally funded by the Levee District and noted that the contract may change in the future .
On motion by Sinclair, seconded by Alley, unanimously passed the Board approved the contract with Dewberry Consultants in the amount of $71,210.00. The President asked if anyone from the public would like to speak and there were no comments.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the following millage(s) are hereby levied on the 2016 tax roll on all property subject to taxation by the Bossier Levee District.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the proper administrative officials of the Parishes of Bossier and Red River, State of Louisiana, be and they are hereby empowered, authorized, and directed to spread said taxes, as herein above set forth, upon the assessment roll of said Parishes for the year 2016, and to make the collection of the taxes imposed for and on behalf of the taxing authority, according to law, and that the taxes herein levied shall become a permanent lien and privilege on all property subject to taxation as herein set forth, and collection thereof shall be enforceable in the manner provided by law.
The foregoing resolution was read in full, the roll was called on the adoption thereof, and the resolution was adopted by the following votes:
The President asked if there were any comments from the public, there were no comments from the public.
On motion by Lasseigne and second by Bantle and unanimously passed the Board approved the transfer of $125,000.00 from Huddleston Smith to the checking account for expenditures and payroll.
LEVEE AND DRAINAGE:
Red Chute Levee Improvement Project
- July 2, 2015 – submitted final plans to Corps and DOTD for review.
- August 6, 2015 – received letter from Statewide Flood Control for Fiscal Year 2016 Funding; $980,100 for FY 15/16; total to date $2,112,115; balance to complete State’s obligation $2,491,345.
- April 19, 2016 – Met with Vicksburg Corps and discussed 408 review; they advised that the information submitted by Dewberry was inadequate for their review.
- June 15, 2016 – Meeting scheduled with Vicksburg Corps to discuss 408 H&H submittal.
- June 29, 2016 – Received revised contract proposal from Dewberry for additional work required for Corps 408 permit H&H submittal in the amount of $71,210.00.
Red Chute Levee Maintenance
- Received approval to advertise for bids for HDPE pipe liners for two locations between I-20 and State Levee; revised estimated material cost $105,000.00.
- Work is scheduled for filling low areas where sand bags were placed in recent high water event.
- Repairs needed on levee surfacing on Barksdale AFB; estimated cost $140,000.00.
Bossier Drainage Maintenance Initiative
- Work to resume on Red Chute Bayou between I-20 and Dogwood Trail when site conditions dry.
Red Chute Bayou Levee Sluice Gate Repair
- Received quote of $20,455 to replace a sluice gate and refurbish sluice gate box located on Barksdale AFB. Sluice gate has been received by contractor; will be installed when water level recedes.
Red River Levee PL 84-99 Repairs
- August 18, 2015 – PL 84-99 Eligibility Determination site visit with Vicksburg USACE to inspect bank caving near Red River Levee station 1080+00 to 1087+00; also area near levee station 2385+00 stability berm is eroding.
- February 3, 2016 – Spoke with Barry Moore with the Vicksburg Corps and he advised that the PL 84-99 request has been approved and funds are available for the bank stability repairs at levee station 10+80 to 10+87. He anticipates that a notice to proceed will be given in June of this year and the estimated completion date is September 15, 2016.
- March 31, 2016 – Sent Authorization for Entry to Corps for PL 84-99 survey work.
- June 8, 2016 - furnished construction RW document for repair work.
- July 12, 2016 – Corps to take soil borings at site.
2016 Flood Damages
- Bank Caving on Flat River and Red Chute Bayou; concerns on Flat River near Poole Rd.
- April 14, 2016 – channel inspection found 25,310 feet of bank caving; estimated repair cost for repair $19,000,000.00; damages reported to FEMA no determination on eligibility for funding at this time.
Levee and Drainage Crews
- Maintenance repairs on levees at various locations.
- Inspecting levees, channels, and drainage structures; cleaning outfall pipes and flap gates.
- Removed debris drift buildup on bridges.
- Breaking Beaver Dams.
- Servicing and repairing equipment.
- Mowing levees and channels.
- Ordered two new 110 HP Tractors thru state contract; estimated delivery July 7, 2016.
- Ordered one 3/4 Ton crew cab 4-wheel drive truck for spray crew thru state contract; estimated delivery July 15, 2016.
- Ordered one full size 4-wheel drive SUV thru state contract; estimated delivery July 8, 2016.
- Request for Argo 750 for Herbicide application in ditches; estimated cost $22,
APPROVAL OF EXPENDITURES:
Mark Long, Operations Coordinator, requested funding for the work to be done on filling low areas on Red Chute Bayou Levee not to exceed $140,000.00 for Highway 80 up to Dogwood Trail.
And approval for Levee Surfacing repair on Barksdale Air Force Base for up to $125,000.00.
On motion by Branton, seconded by Webb and unanimously passed the Board approved the request for funding on Red Chute Bayou not to exceed $140,000.00 and Levee Surfacing project on Barksdale Air Force Base. The President asked for comments from the public, there was none.
On motion by Branton, seconded by Sinclair unanimously passed the Board approved the payment of expenditure in the amount of $ 70,623.66.
On motion by Branton, seconded by Webb the meeting was adjourned.
__________________________ _____________________________ James Rabb, President Mary Jane Easterly, Secretary