The Board of Commissioners of the Bossier Levee District met in regular session on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. at the Levee Board Office, 3404 Industrial Drive, Bossier City, Louisiana.
The President, James Rabb, called the meeting to order.
PRESENT: ALLEY, RABB, BRANTON, MONTGOMERY, LARKIN, WEBB, LASSEIGNE, TOM ARCENEAUX, ATTORNEY AND ROBERT TOMASEK, DOTD ENGINEER.
ABSENT: BANTLE AND SINCLAIR.
The first order of business was opening prayer and pledge of allegiance by Commissioner Lasseigne.
On motion by Lasseigne, seconded by Montgomery, unanimously passed, the Board dispensed with the reading of the minutes and approved the minutes of the regular meeting held on March 9, 2016.
AMENDMENT TO AGENDA:
On suggestion of the Chair to add an item to the agenda, Larkin moved and Lasseigne seconded a motion to add to the agenda to create a search committee for an assistant to the Secretary. Larkin moved and Lasseigne seconded a motion to add the item to the agenda. The President asked if any member of the public wished to speak on whether to add the item to the agenda, and there were no requests to speak. By roll call vote with all members present voting “yes,” the motion carried unanimously and the item was added to the agenda.
REQUESTS BY VISITORS:
Randy Denmon – Denmon Engineering request was tabled until next month.
The Board discussed becoming members of the National Waterway Conference. On motion by Lasseigne and seconded by Montgomery and unanimously passed, the Board advised the Secretary to fill out the necessary papers and forward a check in the amount of $1400.00 for public membership to the organization.
Equipment Committee Report: Since the equipment committee was unable to met prior to the meeting on motion by Montgomery, seconded by Branton the Board agreed to recess the meeting for fifteen (15) minutes to allow the committee to meet. On motion by Lasseigne seconded by Webb and unanimously passed the Board convened back into regular session.
On motion by Lasseigne, seconded by Branton and unanimously passed, the Board authorized the Operations Coordinator to prepare the necessary paperwork to advertise for bids for a new Trackhoe to replace the one that was damaged in the 2016 flood.
On motion by Lasseigne, seconded by Alley, and unanimously passed, the Board determined that the purchase of generator was not necessary.
Commissioner Larkin discussed forming a search committee to find a replacement for the Secretary upon her retirement.
On motion by Larkin, seconded by Lasseigne, and unanimously passed, the Board requested the President to appointment a search committee whose purpose will be to find, negotiate and hire a person as Assistant Secretary with a salary not to exceed 85% of the current Secretary’s salary. The President then appointed Larkin, Sinclair, Lasseigne and Rabb as the committee members.
The Operations Coordinator advised the Board that a letter had been sent to Horseshoe Casino requesting it to remove trees (per the 2015 Levee Inspection Report) and gave a May 1, 2016 deadline for removing the trees.
The Operations Coordinator advised the Board that a meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 19, 2016 to discuss the Red Chute Levee with the Corps of Engineers.
LEVEE AND DRAINAGE:
Red Chute Levee Improvement Project
- July 2, 2015 – submitted final plans to Corps and DOTD for review.
- August 6, 2015 – received letter from Statewide Flood Control for Fiscal Year 2016 Funding; $980,100 for FY 15/16; total to date $2,112,115; balance to complete State’s obligation $2,491,345.
- November 10, 2015 – Dewberry submitted additional hydraulic study information for the Corps 408 review; no additional comments from 408 review at this time.
- December 7, 2015 – Conference call with Vicksburg Corps, Denmon, BLD, and Dewberry – Corps advised that additional information needed for 408 permit request; Dewberry is working on additional information needed.
- December 26, 2015 – Jacob Lesue with Dewberry submitted revised hydraulics information for the 408 permit review and was advised by the Corps that it would be a minimum of one month before they could look at the revised submittal.
- April 19, 2016 – Meeting scheduled with Vicksburg Corps to discuss 408 review.
Red Chute Levee Maintenance
- Received approval to advertise for bids for HDPE pipe liners for two locations between I-20 and State Levee; revised estimated material cost $105,000.00.
Bossier Drainage Maintenance Initiative
- Work to resume on Red Chute Bayou between I-20 and Dogwood Trail when site conditions dry.
Red Chute Bayou Levee Sluice Gate Repair
- Received quote of $20,455 to replace a sluice gate and refurbish sluice gate box located on Barksdale AFB. Sluice gate has been received by contractor; will be installed when water level recedes.
Red River Levee PL 84-99 Repairs
- August 18, 2015 – PL 84-99 Eligibility Determination site visit with Vicksburg USACE to inspect bank caving near Red River Levee station 1080+00 to 1087+00; also area near levee station 2385+00 stability berm is eroding.
- November 10, 2015 - No official confirmation of PL 84-99 approval at this time; we did receive verbal information that the site at 2385+00 would not be approved and the site at station 1080+00 to 1087+00 is still under consideration.
- February 3, 2016 – Spoke with Barry Moore with the Vicksburg Corps and he advised that the PL 84-99 request has been approved and funds are available for the bank stability repairs at levee station 10+80 to 10+87. He anticipates that a notice to proceed will be given in June of this year and the estimated completion date is September 15, 2016.
- March 31, 2016 – Sent Authorization for Entry to Corps for PL 84-99 Work.
Red River Levee Encroachment Removal
- Removed trees from near flood wall at Horseshoe Casino; cost $7,425.00.
2016 Flood Damages
- Bank Caving on Flat River and Red Chute Bayou; concerns on Flat River near Poole Rd.
- Received report of damage to timber bridge on Flat River north of Sligo Road, south of BAFB.
Levee and Drainage Crews
- Maintenance repairs on levees at various locations.
- Flood fight on Red Chute Levee
- Inspecting levees, channels, and drainage structures; cleaning outfall pipes and flap gates.
- Removed debris drift buildup on bridges.
- Breaking Beaver Dams.
- Servicing and repairing equipment.
- Mowing levees and channels.
- Ordered two new 110 HP Tractors thru state contract; estimated delivery July 7, 2016.
- Ordering one 3/4 Ton crew cab 4-wheel drive truck for spray crew thru state contract.
- Ordered one full size 4-wheel drive SUV thru state contract; estimated delivery July 8, 2016.
- 2008 Komatsu Hydraulic Excavator under water for 2 weeks; totaled by Insurance Co.; settlement of $76,318.00. Estimated cost for new machine $150,000.
- Reviewing estimates and specs for 2 new ATVs.
APPROVAL OF EXPENDITURES:
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT the Secretary for the district be and she is hereby authorized to make the payments set forth above in the amount of $ 95,229.10
On motion by Alley, seconded by Branton the meeting was adjourned.
NO COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
__________________________ _____________________________ James Rabb, President Mary Jane Easterly, Secretary